General Ordering Info
- Fast & friendly service: Internet Orders ship within 24 hours... or less! We are shipping from Brooklin, Maine, the high-traffic count (if you're talking about deer, bear, and moose) metropolis on the coast of Maine, so packages will arrive in the New England area within a day of when we ship. It should take 2 to 7 working days for other areas of the US to receive their orders. Working days exclude the weekends and typical holidays. Full-sized boat kits are the exception, and will take 3-6 weeks.
- Next-day and Two-day orders placed by noon, EST ship that day, at fair delivery prices.
- Next-day and Two-day delivery orders placed after 12:00 noon on Friday ship on Monday.
- Please note, our Next-day fees are geared for what Fedex terms “Standard” overnight delivery. That means it saves you money by not forcing “Priority” overnight delivery fees on you. However, a few areas do not get “Standard” service (usually because they are too far from the Fedex terminal) and if you happen to be in one of those areas you'll see a bogus ship charge (ie: blatantly low fee). We know you’ll be understanding when we contact you with the “real” rates, ie: priority overnight, or your other options, like priority mail, etc. We figured it better to have the bogus rate show on a very few orders, than penalize 99% of the next day deliveries with the higher “Priority” fees. Apologies for our limitations.
- Shipping Options: Once you add an item to your cart, scroll down and you'll see the section where you input your country (and if US: State and Zip). Then the shipping options/prices will show. Click on your preferred. If you add more items to your 'cart' you'll want to recalculate.
- Digital Downloads: for digital files only, you have three days to download. Click Digi downloads for more.
- Media Mail: for books (only) delivered within the US, this is the cheapest way to go, but it can be painfully slow. Pony Express, without the Express, and we're not too sure about the pony. And, there is a $100 order limit with Media Mail.
- First Class: there's a weight limit which our system will calculate. The big plus is the cost... it is inexpensive. The down-sides? It can be exceptionally slow, and there is no tracking.
- Ground - 2 to 7 "business" days, US addresses: Shipping costs are based on the value of your order. We will choose the carrier, either USPS, UPS or FedEx Ground. If you prefer a specific carrier please add a mesagge at check-out (there's a text box) and we can usually accommodate your request--however we may have to add more to the shipping charge. Also, if you want UPS or Fedex Ground, then you don't want to provide a PO Box ship-to address. Some items have an additional shipping charge due to their size, which is noted in the product description. That additional fee will be included in the ship charge amount at check-out.
Order Value Ground Shipping Charge Up to $25.00 $5.95 $25.01 to $50.00 $7.95 $50.01 to $100.00 $9.95 $100.01 to $150.00 $12.95 $150.01 to $200.00 $15.95 $200.01 to $400.00 $18.95 $400.01 & over $21.95
- Honest Timing: A Next-day delivery order placed on Thursday after 12:00 noon would be delivered on Monday, and a Two-day delivery would arrive on Tuesday. It's all based on the cut-off time and the “working days” of the carriers.
- Payment: Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and PayPal. No CODs. If using "snail mail you can pay by personal check if it is US Funds Payable on a US Bank. Want to mail cash? Don't do it.
- Delivery Outside the US? We ship all over the world, and have done so for years and years. At the Checkout page, use the pull-down (default is US) and select your country, and at the STATE field (default is Alabama), type in your state or province (type XXXXX if you have no state or province). If your country is Canada, then the State/Province section will default to Alberta. Use the pull-down to select the correct province. Please include your postal code. Phone numbers: please do not add any extra characters like a dash or plus sign. And, don't forget to select your shipping method. Don't use the requested ship date UNLESS you would like us to delay shipping.
- International First Class: can be much cheaper than International Priority Mail. But, it can be very very slow. If you don't really need something for four months or so, you might want to use this.
- International... Express Mail Priority vs Priority Mail International: Express Mail will be more expensive, and for good reason. It's significantly faster. Express Mail International typically delivers in 7-10 days. Priority Mail International might be two weeks, but, it might also take eight weeks. It's inconsistent.
- International FedEx: if your package is heavy enough (several books instead of one or two skinny books, for example) we may be able to ship to you via Fedex at a good rate. We would need to quote each order individually, and we reserve the right to only ship via Fedex because of the security side of things. The huge plus with Fedex is the security and delivery timing. 2-4 days is typical. And it's far more trackable than US Postal.
Please note: for certain items going to certain countries we will require Federal Express for delivery. They are safe, fast, but not inexpensive. Of course, we will not ship this way until we have confirmed with you. We may need to decline the acceptance of the order if not allowed to ship via Fedex.
- Customs / Duties for shipments outside the US. Sorry, but those fees are your responsibility. We cannot predict what the fine folks at your local customs house will decide. PLEASE NOTE: If you decide to refuse a package because your customs agents are extracting a pound of flesh nearest the heart... they will ship the package back to us in Brooklin, Maine. And, they will charge us for that privilege, so we would need to pass-on that charge to you. Ouch!
- A word of caution... our tracking of packages to Canada (even Nova Scotia which is very close to us) shows 1-6 weeks is par. Delivery to European / AustralAsia countries varies greatly, ranging from just a week or two, but... 6-8 weeks is not uncommon.
- For on-line tracking of your order, click the Account Info link on the sidebar, view history link, order link, track info, and the UPS (some other carriers may not directly link... so you’d just copy/paste that track number into one of the options below).
- On-line look-up for US Zipcodes
- On-line look-up for International Postal Codes and much more
- On-line look-up for Canada Postal Codes
- On-line tracking for US Postal Deliveries:US Mail Tracking
- Returns: Yes, you can return something. Anything, actually, other than custom embroidery. (You'll want to be sure about the sizing!) No special authorization, secret codes, forms, or permission is needed to return. Just include a note with the returned item so we know if you want to exchange, get a credit or refund. If you didn't like the item, we'd appreciate hearing that as well. Shipping charges: you get to pay the return shipping (unless we messed-up.) If the item is returned for an even exchange, you get to pay the shipping back to us, but we'll pay the regular shipping to get the exchanged item back to you. Send to The WoodenBoat Store, attn: returns, PO Box 78, Brooklin, ME 04616.
If you are new to ordering from us on-line, or new to ordering from us with PayPal as your pay method, you might want to 'click' our series of "screenshots" to help you through the process:
Ordering with Credit Card Payment and Ordering with PayPal Payment.
Or watch this short video: